Here’s a recipe that will nourish rather than deplete your body and feed your soul & taste buds some tasty, crunchy slaw! As you may or may not know, I’m a pretty steadfast from-scratch kind of cook/baker. However we all have our favorite quick go-tos to help us whip up something delicious and nutritious in a… Continue reading Mercy Me Asian Salad
One day at lunchtime, about a month ago, I was sitting down to dig in when my kids stopped me and said, “Mom! That wrap is beautiful! You should take a picture and put it on Facebook!”. At the time, I hadn’t really given much thought to my quick-lunch-from-whatever-was-in-the-fridge. But they were right, it was… Continue reading Lunchbox Veggie Wraps
These cookies make a great breakfast or snack on the go. Pair a couple of these with some fresh fruit and you have a delicious and nutritious start to the day! Need a compact quick energy source while out on a hike or bike ride? These will definitely do the trick. Chock full of goodies… Continue reading Plant Protein Powered Breakfast Cookies!
This berry tart is fantastic! A tasty, crumbly nut crust, cashew date cream and fresh berries. That’s it! Its quick, easy and makes a great dinner party or potluck dessert with plenty of “WOW!” factor. Want to take it to the next level? A vegan lemon curd beneath the berries would be out of this… Continue reading Fresh Berry Tart
Well, the big V day will be here before we know it. (Valentine’s Day that is, Feb.14th) Why not show your sweetheart how much you care by giving him/her a sweet treat that is actually GOOD for their heart. These do pack a bit of a calorie punch (with all of those nuts), but they… Continue reading Yummy Nutty “Truffle” Bites
This sandwich is a really yummy way to use up some of the veggies in your fridge, or just squeeze more veggies into your day. Not in the mood for a moderately messy sandwich? Try a cozy warm bowl filled with some of the steamy veggie filling and the cooked whole grain of your choice (brown rice, quinoa, spelt, barley, or couscous to name a few). Talk about comfort food!
- 1 onion, cut in half crosswise and sliced into half moons
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2″-1″ chunks
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced (just the bulb, not the stalks or feathery fronds)
- 2-3 carrots, sliced, or 2 handfuls of shredded carrots
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1-2 zucchini, cut in half, lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper sliced into strips (or you can use bottled roasted peppers – YUM! )
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- One 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 whole grain rolls, sliced in half, horizontally
- olive tapenade (optional)
- Fresh spinach or Romaine lettuce
- Heat about 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth in a large skillet
- Add onions, eggplant and fennel. Cook for about 1-2 minutes. Next add carrots, celery, zucchini, and bell peppers (if using bottled, we’ll add them later). Cook for another 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and spices. Cook for a minute or two before adding the tomatoes (and roasted red peppers, if you’re using them). Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, on low for 15-20 minutes. Uncover and cook for a little longer to cook off any excess liquid. Stir in parsley.
- While the filling is simmering, toast the rolls, then smear one side with hummus and top with spinach or lettuce. Top other half of the roll with olive tapenade.
- Spoon a good heap of the cooked veggies on top of the leaves and place the other half of the roll on top. Tuck in!
There is no exaggeration in the title of this recipe! Seriously, the best coffee cake I have tasted…ever! Sweet, moist and delectable with just enough blueberries to make it interesting, without getting too mushy. Don’t skip the topping. It really makes it. The struesel-like finishing touch melts a bit to create a phenomenal, lightly crispy… Continue reading Best Ever Blueberry Coffee Cake